Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Entering into the desert


When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt ready for battle.  Moses took the bones of Joseph with him because Joseph had made the Israelites swear an oath. He had said, “God will surely come to your aid, and then you must carry my bones up with you from this place.” After leaving Sukkoth they camped at Etham on the edge of the desert.  By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.      Exodus 13:17-22

So why the desert??? 

This was my #1 question during my own time of wandering.  God could have chosen any other route, but specifically and purposely chose this for me.  God could have led the Israelites more quickly to the Promise Land.  However He allowed them to spend 40 years there.  Whereas He could have just spent a few months and traveled directly to their final destination.  Looking from the outside in, this can seem so haphazard.  In this passage we get to understand why God chose the route He did.  God is sovereign and knew what the Israelites would need.  As God allows our life to go down a different path than we expect, we may not always know or understand why.  However we can trust that God is sovereign and working in greater ways than we could ever know about.  As I walked through the desert, I didn’t understand why God was allowing this in my life.  However as I look back, I can see His hand of protection through the whole process.

God gave the Israelites a huge visual sign of His presence while leading them through the desert.  Just imagine what that would have been like during the journey.  Everyday, you wake up and see this pillar of cloud in front of you and reminded of God’s presence and direction.  Then each night, there is this pillar of fire in front of the group.  These pillars would have been enormous for all of the Israelites to see. Some estimate at least 500,000 men, plus women and children had left Egypt. 

Don’t you wish that God still used huge visual signs in guiding us?  It would seem to be so much easier.  However the Israelites had these visual cues and still struggled greatly to follow the Lord.   Although He does not provide visual cues for direction, He does guide by His spirit.  Thankfully as I look back through my time of wandering through the desert, I can distinctively see God’s hand guiding and protecting me.

Although my wandering through the desert was painful and hard, I would not trade that time.  God taught me so much, which I will be sharing over the next few posts.  If you are going through that desert time now, please know the Lord cares deeply for you.  You may never know or understand the reason for the desert, but you can rest knowing that He is in control.  

No comments:

Post a Comment