Thursday, October 10, 2013

Wandering through the desert


 Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land the Lord promised on oath to your ancestors.  Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.  He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.  Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years.  Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.  Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him.  For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land—a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills;  a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey;  a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.      Deuteronomy 8:1-9

After wandering through the desert for forty years, the Lord reminded the Israelites of His Faithfulness, as well as, He charged them to not forget Him.  The Lord knew we all have a natural tendency to forget the Him, His blessings and His Word. 

A few years ago, I started going through a dry spell in my walk, although my ministry was doing very well.  Deep down I felt like the Israelites as they were wandering through the desert.  Unfortunately, during this time, I too became forgetful.  Throughout the Old Testament God constantly reminded His people to not forget.   Through my wandering desert experience, I didn’t forget the Lord in as much as I forgot who I was in Him.  Through this time, I lost my identity as a child of the King and got wrapped up in what I did – youth ministry.  I had forgotten that I was loved because I was His child and not because of my own efforts.  I began to rely on my own abilities and strength, which eventually took its toll.  I began to see less fruit and less of God’s Hand on my ministry.  This drove me to work harder, longer and eventually become burned out.

My burnout led to bitterness, as I had lost the wonder of God’s grace and mercy.   So I stepped away from the church and ministry vowing to never go back. 

Thankfully, God in His mercy saw this coming and brought us to be able to be a part of Passion City Church.   It is where God has continued to work to bring healing in my life, to break bitterness and melt my rebellious heart.

Again, thank you for taking time to read this blog.  As I continue to share about my journey and God’s faithfulness, I know the Lord will use it mightily.  Always feel free to leave questions about anything I have shared.  If you don’t feel comfortable leaving a personal question, please feel free to contact me at my email at pastorjabo@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I am afraid that this is where I am headed, probably more quickly than I want to admit. I am looking forward to your posts - I hope that your insights from the other side of the bitterness can help me before I am totally consumed by it. Thank you for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a note. I can remember being on the frontside of my burnout and wandering phase and how difficult it was. Many didn't truly understand me and thought I could just get over it. It was nothing short of God's grace and mercy. I'm always willing to listen or talking anything through. Feel free to contact me on my email pastorjabo@gmail.com. I will be praying for you.

      Delete