Thursday, October 24, 2013

Soul Care 101 - Don't go at it alone

“Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.  Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.  If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves.”   Galatians 6:1-3

These next few posts I have called Soul Care 101.  I chose this title not because I am an expert, but because I have seen the damage first hand, that can happen if you do not take care of your soul.  Doing maintenance and check-up on your soul is just as important, if not more so, that doing it on your personal vehicle.  Our vehicles have many different warning lights that can alert you when there is a problem with your engine.  Unfortunately we do not have warning lights for our souls when they are need of help.

When there are mechanical issues with a vehicle, its important to seek out a mechanic.  (Unless you have been blessed with the skills, knowledge and tools for car repair.)  The same is true when we need soul care.  However too many have fallen for the enemy’s greatest lie – that we can make it on our own.  One of the greatest aspects of soul care is realizing we cannot go at it alone. 

When we read 1 Peter 5:8, we get a better understanding of the devil and his intentions.

“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”   1 Peter 5:8

Ever notice on the discovery channel that the lion only goes after the lone wildebeest and not the herd?  The longer you stay isolated there is a greater possibility that you will not within the attack of the enemy. 

There are three areas I want to challenge you to consider.  All three of these have played an enormous role in my own soul care.   
  • Seek out a mentor.  I’ve come to realize that age doesn’t matter and that everyone needs a mentor.  Someone who can be praying for you regularly, as well as be your sounding board.  I am thankful for the mentors that the Lord has given me throughout the years.  Their role in my spiritual development has been huge.

  • Get an accountability partner.  We all struggle with sin in our lives, especially hidden ones that we don’t want anyone else to know about. Unfortunately pride keeps us from gaining victory over these areas.  It is through mutual confession, praying for and encouraging one another that the Lord uses to help us gain victory in these areas.  We are called to confess our sins to one another and to carry each other’s burdens.  I believe this is the greatest lacking area of the Church today!  So many believers struggle through life and have no victory over sin, because of not being willing to bare themselves to another believer.  The greatest victory over sin and growth in my walk, with the Lord, has been when I’ve had an accountability partner in my corner.  I am so thankful for the man and brother in Christ that God has placed in my life.  I look forward to our regular times together where we pray for and encourage one another.  Just know this kind of relationship takes time to develop.

  • Lastly, you may need to seek out professional counseling.  There have been times in my life that I have needed a professional counselor.  For over 17 years I have struggled greatly with anxiety.  However my time spent with a godly counselor has given me the tools to work through the anxious moments in my life.      


Soul care is critical!  I pray that you are taking steps and to take care of your soul.  Realizing you can’t do it by yourself is the most crucial step.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you would like to talk.  My email is pastorjabo@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment